ASPM Weather Factors Manual
OverviewASPM categorizes and reports on the severity of weather impact by airport by hour as: None, Minor, Moderate, or Severe, based on the historical relationship between the weather and percent on-time arrivals at that airport. The weather factors considered are:
- Wind speed
- Severity of local weather conditions
- Thunderstorms reported at nearby weather stations (50 miles)
- Enroute thunderstorms
The source of the weather data is NOAA. Access to the Weather Factors module is restricted.
For more information on the Weather Factors methodology, see Weather Classification Briefing.
Weather Factors data can be viewed on the FAA Operations & Performance Data Web site.
For more information about the ASPM system, see Aviation System Performance Metrics (ASPM).
My Reports displays a list of reports you saved after running your query. You may save a report after you enter your search criteria and select the 'Run' button. Then you may name your report and save it for future use. Selecting the information button will display a window listing the selection criteria used for the report. Selecting the deletion button will delete the report.
This section lists reports that you have saved after clicking the 'Run' button. By clicking on the report name, you will be able to modify or update the saved report with new criteria. Just click on any of the desired tabs to change output, dates, airports, grouping, and filter options. For more information about saving reports, see the Run section.
In Weather Factors, you may display the data according to the following options:
- ASPM Weather Factors: Delays Report
- ASPM Weather Factors: On-Time Report
- ASPM Weather Factors: Efficiency Report
- ASPM Weather Factors: SAER/TAER Report
- ASPM Weather Factors: Percent Report
- ASPM Weather Factors: Capacity Report
- ASPM Weather Factors: Details Report
- ASPM Weather Factors: Scenario Report
- ASPM Weather Factors: Frequency Report
- ASPM Weather Factors: Overall Impact Report
- ASPM Weather Factors: Validation Report
In all ASPM views, you may choose between several options for the output of the data:
- HTML: The requested data are presented in a Web browser format.
- MS Excel
- MS Word
The following options are available:
- Years (calendar and fiscal)
Please verify that your selection is for a time period in which data are available. Selected options will appear on the right.
When the default 'Quick Entry Mode' checkbox is selected, you can select airports by entering the airport code (or several codes separated by a space) to search for matching airports. By deselecting the 'Quick Entry Mode' option, you will be able to enter airport ID, name, or partial name of the airport to search for a list of matches. The autocomplete feature will suggest possible names of airports in a drop down menu. You may also select predefined groups such as ASPM 77, OPSNET 45, or Core 30 to enter a set of airports. To include all airports, do not select any.
In Weather Factors, grouping options are available for all reports with the exception of the Details Report.
The grouping options for most of the reports in Weather Factors are:
- Local Hour
- GMT Hour*
- Day of the Week
*When GMT Hour is selected, the report will also show Local Hour (Local Hour will automatically appear as a selected grouping option). Data will be ordered by local hour.
- Weather Factor
- Overall Impacting Conditions
- Enroute Thunderstorms
- Thunderstorms Within 50 Miles
- Severity of Local Weather Conditions
- Number of Hourly OPSNET Weather Delays
- Visibility in Statute Miles
- Ceiling in Hundreds of Feet
- Wind Speed in Knots
- Weather Conditions (All, IMC, VMC)
- Type (Schedule, Flight Plan)
- Hour (From... To...)
- Combine Impacts (When selected, impact of weather factor is grouped into classifications None+Minor and Moderate+Severe.)
Note that different reports will display variations of the filters listed above.
Selecting the 'Run' option will run the query and create a report. In the ASPM system, you may save the search criteria you used to create the report by entering a name for the report and clicking the 'Save' button. From then on, the report name will appear in the 'My Reports' section.
Definitions of Variables
For more information about these topics, please see the specific definitions for Weather Factors: