OPSNET: Tower Operations
Tower Operations Counts Tower Operations are all take-offs and landings at the airport as well as other aircraft worked by the Tower. Tower Operatinons include Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) and Visual Flight Rules (VFR) itinerant operations, overflights, and local operations.
Tower Operations Counts record the following activities:
- IFR and VFR Itinerant: Operations by air carrier, air taxi, general aviation, and military aviation arriving from outside the airport traffic pattern or departing the airport traffic pattern. Operations are conducted either under Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) or Visual Flight Rules (VFR).
- Local Operations: Operations by civil and military aviation remaining in the local traffic pattern, simulated instrument approaches at the airport, including the following subcategories, and operations to or from the airport and a practice area within a 20-miles radius of the tower.
- Civil: All civilian operations, including local flights by air carrier and air taxi aircraft.
- Military: All classes of military operations.
- IFR and VFR Overflights: IFR and VFR operations performed by aircraft that originate outside the towers' airspace, and enter and exit the towers' airspace without landing. This count also includes helicopter operations that land or depart from an airport non-movement area or from an off-airport location.
Tower Operations are counted by the following classification types:
- Type 1: tower without radar
- Type 3: combination radar approach control and tower with radar (tower portion)
- Type 4: combination nonradar approach control and tower without radar (tower portion)
- Type 5: nonapproach control tower
- Type 6: combined control facilities (tower portion)
- Type 7: tower with radar
- Type 11: Federal Contract Tower
For more information, see Definitions of Variables.
For detailed information about reports available in the Tower Operations view, see the following pages: